Sunday, October 12, 2008

John McCain and the Dallas Cowboys

Whew, ladies and gents!

It's getting very very close to the vote. And I'd like to relate it to football.

I'll admit, I'm a girly man when it comes to this American sport. I see folks driving around with their teams' flag proudly waving from the roof of their car. Hey, that's cool. They're into it, and they like it. Team pride.

However, let's compare partisan politics to football. Let's say we're invaded by an alien civilization. They threaten to annihilate us by melting our ice caps, driving our banks over the edge, stoke wars, and all in all, make us fairly miserable. The only way we can avoid this catastrophe is - by competing in, and winning, the intergalactic super bowl xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxvi (we've apparently missed this before somehow.)

So, the world leaders frantically convene, dial up the NFL, and start drafting a team to save the world.

All's going well, when suddenly somebody suggests Tony Romo for quarterback. A hush falls over the convention room in downtown Alexandria, VA. This is not Dallas country.

"I'm not voting for Romo! His name rhymes with an insult to the Gay and Lesbian community!" Screams an onlooker...

"But he's the man for the job!" a member of the Planetary Salvation By Intergalactic Competition Commission board patiently explains.

"He's from Dallas! I don't trust him. Isn't he really a communist? No Way, Jose!"

Once again, partisan politics has gotten in the way. It looks like the world is doomed because some Redskins fan got ticked.


The good news is: This is just a story. The bad news is: This hypothetical fan is one of the deciding factors of the watershed election facing our country.

I suggest that we put partisan politics on the shelf this time around. Let's look at what America really needs.

I just came back from a very interesting drive today. My route took me through northern and rural Virginia, including towns Staunton, Waynesboro, Luray, and Gainesville.

I spotted four abandoned gas stations in Gainesville in the bustling Rt. 29/I66 interchange district. They were busy when I rolled through last year.

Staunton and Waynesboro showed the first signs of desolation of the economic slowdown - and this is the fall tourist season. True, they did have their lovely Fall Foliage Festival, but things were starting to look a little less than prosperous. And it certainly wasn't the good folks of these township to blame! They had pride in their town, and put on a darn good festival. But - along the outskirts, things looked pretty darn empty.

Luray looked scenic as usual, but in talking to my friends at the local art gallery, business has been painfully slow.

The kicker was evident all along the Rt. 340 Corridor. The yards were choked with campaign signs bearing the message "Valley Voter for McCain - Palin."

They might has well have said "Another family for four more years of this." "I'm voting for another four years of failed economic policies." "I support someone who has stated he doesn't really understand the economy." "I'm raising my voice for a maverick who goes the way of the establishment ninety odd percent of the time." "I'd like more - McCain - Palin 2008"

Don't you think it's time we put our partisan politics aside, and vote for some change?

Obama might be from Dallas in the eyes of the Skins fans around here, but I think it's time we give him a look.

I'm casting my ballot for something different this year. I'm voting for Obama.