Sunday, October 19, 2008

Palin and the rise of the anti-intellectual

I love townhouses - they're great for canvasing!

And as another Sunday draws to a close, I'm left with sore feet and a new puzzle in my brain.
Why is the current presidential contest running dangerously close to looking like a high school?


Let's take a step back, and review the situation.

- We've got a beauty queen.

- We've got a senior. (ha ha!)

- And we've got a competent, smart guy who's indirectly being called a geek...?!

It seems to me that any of the "NObama" crowd hold it against him that he's educated, articulate, and well-spoken. To borrow a high school phrase..."Like, oh my god, have you seen his ears? And gee wiz, everyone wants to hang out with him. Ewww."

This is sad! Ridiculous! Preposterous! It seems that Sarah Palin is framing the debate that educated professionals are not to be trusted, just as geeks from high school are not to be associtated with.

I really don't care how "cool" my lawyer, brain surgeon, insurance adjuster, or investment manager is. I want them to be competent, qualified, and smart. And these professionals are strictly concerning me - not an entire country.

I don't understand why it's suddenly not cool to be smart in politics. Why is an intellectual not a real american?

Perhaps because he doesn't come from a small town?

I don't get it. So I'm gonna keep knockin' on doors, doggone it!