Tuesday, September 16, 2008

No more Armchair politics

As a kid, I was always around armchair politicians. My dad, grandma, and grandpa would always go on forever about the democrats vs. the republicans, and how the world was most definitely going somewhere fast, and for some reason, it was in a hand basket.

While it was a mark of pseudo-intellect, and a proud moment when I could join in on these conversations, they always left me with a feeling of depression and helplessness. No matter who won the debate around the kitchen table in suburbia, Washington was exactly the same.

That's why it felt great to be sweating like a pig this past Sunday, canvasing for Obama and Biden in the swing state of Virginia. Well, let's see. I knocked on 35 doors. Most of the people weren't home. But guess what - It felt super to be taking an active part in the American political process. I get all stressed and worried when I read the news. Walking for three hours was a great way to relieve that stress. I was taking steps for change that I believe in.

I was doing something. And Dad and Grandma can go on all they like - at least I'm not playing Monday morning quaterback.

Won't you join me, at least in spirit? Get out there, and talk to folks! I've been in touch with Luke and the good folks at local Obama field office in Alexandria. They're working their tails off for change they can believe in. Wanna help? They're doing a lot of canvasing, and they can use every man, woman, and kid on deck.

The address of the office is:

8796 Sacramento Dr
Alexandria, VA

Here's the link.

It's gonna be close, folks. I'll be there on the street. Won't you join me?

Here's a cool thought for you to end on. I read it on politco.com:

If Barack Obama can get every voter to learn just two numbers, he will be president. Those numbers are 91 and 134. If by Election Day every American knows McCain votes with Bush 91 percent of the time and has 134 lobbyists in his campaign, then the myth of the maverick reformer will be dead. And with it, McCain’s chances of following his unlikely soul mate as president.